Monday 17 January 2011

We cropped on Saturday. It included our now-to-be-regular pot-luck lunch. I know, and at the risk of gushing, it really was one of the most fun, noisy and for some, productive days. Of course, not all of that statement applies to me! I did manage 3 layouts which I put away without even thinking about photographing. Huh? I probably could have done at least two more, but I was too busy gosspiping and admiring Mary Anne's works - her albums are amazing. And she can work back to front too -by which I mean that she can make a whole mini album based on an idea and not have photos for it just yet. Now that's a skill.
Crop preparation is today's subject. Bear in mind whilst I whinge, that I am the hall booker. So I know sooner than almost anyone else when the next crop is. OK, so usually it's the first saturday of the month and that's no secret of course, but you take my point. So how come on the preceeding Monday I'm desperately searching photo files and praying that Snapfish can turn a miracle and get my pictures to me by the time I need to choose papers etc? Yes, I have about a million unscrapped photos which I could get on with if Snapfish can't deliver, but you get an urge to do something in particular don't you, and I really like to scrap the present. So much so that even at a January crop, I have never managed a Christmas LO! Miss Dunnit's albums look as though she had a great life, but without Christmas!
I spend the Friday before the crop whining to get home early enough for a daylight paper choosing session. That rarely works out...lets face it, non scrappers, especially men, just don't get how important the right shades are. For them it's well, black and white! Then I have supper and frankly, that's fatal. Once in the post supper armchair....oh how hard it is to move. Especially when the body knows it's going to sit - because kneeling is physically impossible for more than about 4 minutes (Helen -you reading this?!!) - on a nice but cold laminate floor in front of a cupboard where the papers that will not match my photos live. It takes ages. By which time of course, I'm stiff from sitting on the floor like some rubbery teen, and I still have punches, alphabets, gems, chipboard, dies, folders, stamps, inks and consumables to decide on and pack. And I just know I can't leave it until the morning because like most Saturday mornings, I cannot trust myself not to oversleep. See, Mr Dunnit goes out early on Saturdays and never ever has the heart to wake me or set the alarm. So I soldier on. My bag packed, the blood rush as I stagger to the armchair is incredible if not a bit of a worry. And as I settle in, Mr Dunnit returns from his well deserved Friday night darts-and-a-pint and says it's time for bed. OK, so it may be 11.30, but I just sat down! Oh man, it would be easier to stay at home. No doubt. Except for a couple of teeny details. I would never make LOs at home, just wouldn't get round to it. And it's just such a fun day.

17 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, Julia - I am reading this!! I have been kneeling tonight and actually, it hurt today.. hence me sitting crouched, stomach screwed up (it's a low table and a low stool) at the computer for a change of pain!! And I have that stripey paper from your layout!! (but that won't surprise you...)

Scrapcat 1 said...

Love the post and the LO, you do make me laugh I don't really scrapbook and what little I do do I do on the computer digitally, so much easier and you can reuse, resize, recolour what you are using. I have a friend who would sympathise whole heartedly with you though.

donnalouiserodgers said...

now you see I cannot get past that gift of a spoonerism - hall booker,

so are you known to call out to Mr D,

hang on a minute darling I'm just ball hooking

?

dx

JoZart Designs said...

Whew! I'm worn out reading that post... what a hoot! Sit down and chill out you need it!
Hugs JoZarty x

Teresa said...

Soooooo with you there girly! Knees and hips are just not what they used to be when I was Mrs Helen's age! lol.

I WANNA COME TO YOUR CROP AGAIN!

alexa said...

This really made me smile! A smile of recognition - I spend last Friday night before a crop in a similar state, unable to make decisions, work out what I needed and unable to go to bed till it was done. Even then I end up feeling I've wasted time - until I get to the crop and decide that producing is not important and chatting is the thing!

misteejay said...

I love a good crop...sometimes I'm productive & sometimes it turns into a chat fest but that's the fun of getting together with like minded folk.

Toni :o)

Anne said...

This post could be written about me! We are usually the first Saturday of each month too, and yet am I ever ever ever ready and packed in time? Of course not! I'm usually scrabbling around at the last minute, or, like this month, I simply load up the car with practically every bit of stash I own. And still I am usually missing the one thing I end up needing!

Lovely layout - and the blog is looking good too!

xx

Ohhh Snap said...

Gorgeous layout! Sounds like a wonderful crop :D. Color me Cricut Green lol.

Cardarian said...

How well you have described that - love this post - I just went through the same stuff last night - exept that I don't have a Mr. Cardarian to shhsh me off to bed....Lovely LO! Worth all the hassle!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Anonymous said...

You flatter me :) Many would argue that making a blank album is waaaay easier than one with photos, and you managed three layouts, which puts me to shame. But I must agree that old knees can't handle cold floors ( my papers are at eye level and waist level, no floor crawling for me!) that my kids seem to bypass christmas too if you believe their albums, and the crop was a hoot and a half. Next time we should experiment with the big doughnut table arrangement and crop in a circle lol!

Love the layout

Mary Anne

Morti said...

Too funny, and too true by half!



I'm a frustrated scrapbooker - a zillion and one photos, and bunch of ideas, and about 6 LOs to my name. I never get round to it! I even thought I'd have a go at doing it digitally, and have 12 nice folders of photos from last year to do.... so far, none done.

I think I need to come and join in your crop....

Pam said...

4 minutes Julia? Really? I can't get past 2. One of these days I'm gonna catch a flight and see what a crop is like in person you old hall booker you! Your page/post made me smile too.

HarmonySweetpea said...

I've never been to a crop. Oh how much fun it sounds! And what a great way to learn.

Neet said...

I do enjoy reading your posts. Love the colours in that LO by the way.

HeARTworks said...

Wow! I'm tired already! What a lot of work for 3 lay outs! But I know it must be Fun with a capital F! And the lay out is great! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Sarpreet said...

Great page and picture. Sounds like a brilliant crop